Hotel guests should be treated to a safe and sanitary living quarters for the short amount of time that they are staying at the hotel. This is not only common sense and should be expected of everywhere, but it is also dictated by law. If you were staying at a MainStay Suites hotel, the last thing on your mind should have been bed bugs. However, in the event that you were bitten, you may not have been able to think about anything else, especially if there were injuries and you brought the infestation home with you. Our experienced lawyers for MainStay Suites bed bug lawsuits at the Bed Bug Legal Group can ensure that you are fairly compensated for your damages. We will assist you in filing a bed bug lawsuit against MainStay Suites today.
What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are small creatures that feast on human blood. They are nocturnal and generally nest near where their victims sleep. They can be found in damp, dark places and are at times very difficult to identify, especially if you have never encountered them before. Some may confuse them with fleas and ticks, but there are key differences. Primarily, bed bugs can only move around by crawling and do not feast on animals.
Bed bugs are very hardy and can go without feeding for many months. They can essentially stay in hibernation until a new food source arrives, as may often happen if a hotel room is not commonly rented out.
The reason bed bugs can be so troublesome is their stealthy nature. They emerge at night and crawl onto their victim’s exposed skin, where they sink their teeth in and num the area thanks to an anesthetic agent in their saliva. They can then drink uninterrupted for up to 10 minutes because of an anticoagulant in their saliva that prevents the blood from clotting. They will then move to another point. A tell-tale sign of bed bug bites is the zigzag pattern that appears; bites are often small red welts that do not severely itch.
If you wish to sue MainStay Suites for bed bugs, contact our firm for more assistance.
Can I Sue MainStay Suites for Bed Bugs?
You can sue MainStay Suites for bed bugs only if the infestation caused you some kind of damages. If there were simply bed bugs in your hotel room but you suffered no economic losses or you were not bitten, you will not be able to file a MainStay Suites bed bug lawsuit.
Can You Sue MainStay Suites for Bed Bug Bites?
You can sue MainStay Suites for bed bug bites because it counts as a personal injury. The bites may lead to open sores and infection; some individuals can even be allergic to the bites and may need treatment from a doctor. If you were bitten, your MainStay Suites bed bug compensation can greatly increase, as you will have suffered more losses than simply damaged property.
Where Do Bed Bugs Nest?
To find bed bug nests, you should be on the lookout for the creatures themselves; small, dark-brown mounds or droppings; shed exoskeletons from juvenile bed bugs; and tiny, oval-shaped, cream-colored eggs. You should look in the following places:
- Underneath rugs and carpets
- Behind the electrical outlets on the wall
- Behind paintings, mirrors, and picture frames
- Inside upholstery, couches, and chairs
- Behind baseboards and headboards of the beds
- In bunches of linens and sheets that may be on the bed or in the closet
- Below box springs, bed frames, and futons
- Inside dresser and desk drawers
- In the folds of mattresses and cushions
You should always conduct a thorough investigation as soon as you enter a hotel room.
What Are Legal Details Concerning Bed Bugs in Hotels?
In California’s Civil Codes, it is mandated that property owners must not rent out locations that breach the habitability clause. Hotel managers are no exception. They must not rent out rooms that are infested with filth, rodents, debris, garbage, or vermin. Bed bug infestations are considered vermin, and hotel managers who knowingly or negligently rent out such rooms can be fined and face other legal consequences.
If you want to know how to file a lawsuit against MainStay Suites for bed bugs, you can consult with us. Your claim will be based on premises liability, which requires one of the following situations to be true:
- The hotel manager caused the infestation, whether by bringing in infested furniture or by importing sheets that are dirty
- The hotel manager knew about the infestation but took no action to exterminate it
- The hotel manager did not know about the infestation but reasonably should have if he had been more meticulous and thorough
This is not merely MainStay Suites Hotel bed bug policy, but the policy in the state as a whole. There are other actions that can be taken, such as alerting certain websites and organizations to the presence of the infestation. If you want to know how to report a bed bug in a hotel or where to file a claim against MainStay Suites for bed bug injuries, call our law firm for more information.
Here Is How to File a Bed Bug Claim Against MainStay Suites
- Firstly, you should make sure to get the necessary medical treatment for your bed bug bites, and you should hold on to all proof of the treatment (receipts, notes, and more).
- Next, you should take pictures of the bites to prove that you were bitten within the time frame of you staying at the hotel.
- You should then take pictures of the bed bugs themselves to prove that they were present in your room. If you went home already and found that you were bitten while at the hotel, you can take pictures of the bugs that infested your home, if they latched on and spread.
- You may wish to ask eyewitnesses and other guests for their testimonies, as there may be other people available who saw the bed bugs or who were also bitten.
- You could similarly request statements from the cleaning staff; they may not only be able to provide support that they saw the bed bugs but could testify that the hotel owner specifically stated to avoid deep cleaning or to mask the bed bugs in some way.
- You may need exterminators to clean out your home; you can keep any receipts from the treatment.
- Similarly, you should print copies of your credit card statement and hotel receipt to show that you were a legal guest in the hotel.
- Lastly, you should reach out to a lawyer with experience in MainStay Suites bed bug lawsuits to file your claim.
What is the Value of Bed Bug Lawsuits?
The typical hotel bed bug settlement value is determined by the insurance agent handling your claim. In the past, bed bug lawsuits have been settled for anywhere between $5,000 and $500,000. The biggest bed bug lawsuit settlements are won due to the numerous damages that came from the incident.
Because the insurance agent will look at your injuries, their severity, the extent of them, and how much of an impact they had on your life and career, you may earn a lot of money if the bed bug bites had a huge effect on you. You may not have been able to return home because of an infestation, and you may have needed to hire numerous exterminators for treatments. You also may have needed to get the bugs removed from your car and have received medical treatment for allergic reactions and infections.
It is not recommended that you try to handle your MainStay Suites bed bug lawsuit by yourself. You may be rejected and not receive even a tenth of your deserving compensation. Our lawyers will strive to win you the maximum settlement available for your claim.
What is Some Bed Bug Lawsuit Compensation?
With the help of our lawyers, you can receive various types of compensation for your injuries. We will work around the clock to bring you every penny you deserve. A personal injury claim can net you the following forms of coverage:
- Medical expenses from the past and future
- Property damage for any lost or broken items
- Exterminator fees
- Vacation and trip reimbursement
- Pain and suffering damages
Too many individuals do not pursue claims because they are unsure of what they can earn or because they are inexperienced when it comes to the law. We will do all we can to win your case for you.
Our Firm and You
The Bed Bug Legal Group can litigate your case for you if you were bitten by bed bugs while staying at a MainStay Suites. If you do not know where to file a claim for bed bug bites while staying at a MainStay Suites, look no further – we’re here to help. Our lawyers are aggressive and we place our clients first. We will always seek to win you the maximum damages.
Call our offices today for a free legal consultation to discuss your case and talk about what we may be able to bring you. We will also tell you more about our zero fee guarantee, which promises that you will not have to spend any money out of pocket for our services. We won’t get paid unless and until we win. If we lose, we take nothing.
Contact the Bed Bug Legal Group today if you wish to sue MainStay Suites for bed bugs.