The short answer is yes, you can sue a hotel for bed bug bites and any injuries that you have sustained as a result of a bed bug infestation in your hotel room.
If you have been to a hotel and you were injured because of bed bugs, you can contact our law firm to sue the hotel for the bed bug bites. Our law firm has successfully handled many such cases and we know what it takes to win a lawsuit against the hotel owners and managers for your injuries.
Under the theory of premises liability, hotels have a duty to provide a safe environment to their guests. Amongst other steps that hotels are supposed to take, one step includes cleaning the rooms and inspecting them for bed bugs. If a guest gets exposed to bed bugs and suffers bed bug bites due to the negligence of a hotel or motel, the guest can file a lawsuit and sue the hotel or motel for all their injuries. This won’t be easy without an attorney so it is important to consult with an attorney specializing in bed bug hotel cases.
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are small insects that feast on human blood. They are reddish brown in color and can be identified by their body types: flat and round. When they are filled with a meal, they swell and become engorged. Many people confuse them with fleas, but there are key differences between the two. If you see the insect jump, it was most definitely not a bed bug – they can only get around by crawling. Fleas can jump long distances and generally hang out near animal beds or where animals tend to sleep.
On the other hand, you will find bed bugs in areas that are more secluded and out of the way or out of sight. They are usually found in damp, dark spaces of your home that do not get cleaned very often. For example, they are usually found in the following places:
- Behind electrical outlets
- Behind picture frames
- Beneath carpets
- Behind baseboards
- Underneath cushions and upholstery
- Inside dresser drawers
- In the mattress and box-spring seams
- In closets with linens
- On the underside of furniture
The creatures are nocturnal and come out when potential hosts are asleep. The bugs will crawl to the bodies and bite them; their saliva has an anesthetic in it that prevents victims from waking at the pain, and the blood will continue to flow while the bugs feast thanks to an anticoagulant also present. Once they have had their fill, they return to their nests, where they do not need to feed again for months.
This is one of the main reasons bed bugs are so fickle to deal with. They can lie in wait for months at a time and you may not even know that they are present until after an episode. The bed bug infestation at a hotel may have been present for years.
For more information on the creatures, call one of our lawyers for bed bugs in hotels.
My Hotel Room Has Bed Bugs. What Should I Do?
What to do if your hotel room has bed bugs depends on the amount of time you stayed in the room. For example, if you checked into the room that day and immediately searched for bed bugs and discovered them, you should go to the hotel manager at once to alert him to the situation and either receive a refund or change rooms. If you entered the room for a few minutes, it is not likely that you would be bitten or have them latch onto your luggage.
However, if you slept overnight or for a few nights in the room and discovered that there were bed bugs, you could suffer from injuries and possibly even bring the bugs home with you. In this case, it is crucial that you take the preliminary steps towards filing a hotel bed bug lawsuit. You can sue the hotel for your bed bug injuries with the help of a hotel bed bug lawyer at our law firm.
Can I Sue A Hotel For Bed Bug Bites Or Bed Bug Infestation In My Room?
Yes, you can sue a hotel for bed bugs and bed bug bites resulting from a bed bug infestation in your hotel room.
- Hotel owners and managers owe a general duty to their hotel guests under common law to provide a place of residence that is free from all known and knowable dangers, including infestations of bed bugs.
- Several state and local sanitary laws and ordinances have been put in place over the past few years in order to protect the rights of hotel room guests from bed bug infestations.
- A known bed bug infestation violates these laws.
- Essentially, if you wish to file a lawsuit against a hotel for bed bugs, you must show that the owner was negligent in his duty.
- All property owners must protect guests and visitors. A premises liability claim can be filed if the hotel manager knew there was an infestation and did nothing about it, caused the infestation, or should have reasonably known there was an infestation and yet took no action.
- Hotel renters can sue a hotel for bed bug injuries if the owner’s actions fit any of the above bills. Contact our law firm to sue the hotel owner as well as the hotel manager for bed bug bites. You could receive over $100,000 if you were injured in the incident.
Can Hotel Guests Sue A Hotel For Bed Bugs? Liability For Bed Bugs In Hotel Rooms
The answer is yes, hotel guests can file a lawsuit against a hotel for bed bug bites.
- Under the law, bed bug bites are regarded as serious injuries in the same fashion as an injury resulting from an auto accident or slip and fall.
- As such, hotels have a liability for bed bugs in their hotel room and victims of these bites have the right to file personal injury lawsuits in the court of law against all at fault (liable) parties, which may include hotel owners, managers, staff and their insurance carriers.
- You can only sue a hotel for having bed bugs for certain expenses if your bed bug injuries were real and physical.
- If the mattress in your hotel room was infested with bed bugs but you were not bitten, you may not be able to collect the same amount of compensation from your hotel bed bug lawsuit.
I Was Bit By Bed Bugs While Staying At A Hotel. What Are My Rights?
If bed bugs bit you and injured you while you were at a hotel room, you have several rights.
- Right to a clean living quarters
- Hotel staff must promote your safety while on the property
- Right to take legal action if you are injured due to beg bugs
- Right to abide by a contract that provided a sanitary room
- Duty of care to not be intentionally harmed or placed in a situation of harm by a property owner
Our lawyers for bed bugs in hotels can give you more details on additional rights.
Hotel Bed Bug Lawsuit – How To Sue A Hotel For Giving You Bed Bugs
There are some necessary steps you need to take after discovery of a bed bug infestation in your hotel room. If you are planning on suing a hotel or motel for bed bugs, you should follow all of these procedures. Below are several important steps that should be taken if you suspect bed bugs in your hotel room or if you discover that you were bitten.
- Accumulate evidence of the infestation: Evidence that should be accumulated can include pictures of bed bugs in the mattress of the bed, furniture, carpeting and walls. You should also take pictures of the bite marks you have experienced. These bites will show up as zigzag markings that are red and raised, but do not overly itch.
- Seek medical attention: Bed bug bites are more dangerous than most people realize. Bites may result in keloid (permanent) scarring and serious bacterial and viral infections. They may blister and turn into open sores, which can lead to sickness. Medical care will greatly enhance your chances of reducing serious secondary medical health complications. Although bed bugs are not known to transmit diseases, it is still safe to be checked.
- Contact the local county health department: Ask the local county health and sanitation department to visit the site and ask them for a copy of the report. This will be added to your evidence package to show that an authority figure was made aware of the infestation.
- Contact the hotel management and file an injury report. Obtain all pertinent information. This includes hotel manager’s name, and their direct phone number or email address. Also, inquire about when (on what date) the room was last inspected and cleaned, and names of the cleaning company or cleaning staff. In addition, contact the county health and sanitation department. It is very important that you do this last – if you immediately contact the manager and want to file an incident report, you will likely be moved to a new room and denied entry to the infested one. This means that you won’t be able to acquire evidence, and as a result, you won’t be able to sue the hotel for giving you bed bugs and bed bug bites.
- Do not take any free nights, gift cards, promotions, or other offers from the hotel. If you do, the manager can claim that you were already compensated, and you may have trouble filing a bed bug hotel lawsuit.
- Speak with a bed bug lawyer and seek legal consultation: The vast majority of personal injury attorneys are not aware of the complexities involved in litigation against hotels, long term stay hotels, and motels that are infested with bed bugs. Seek legal advice from a law firm that has a well established reputation of litigation against hotels for bed bug infestations. Our bed bug lawyers specialize in this field and can help you get compensation from the hotel for bed bugs.
Do I Need A Lawyer To Sue A Hotel For Bed Bugs?
Yes, if you were injured by bed bugs at a hotel, you will need a lawyer to sue the hotel for your bed bug injuries. You have the option to handle your claim by yourself, but we do not recommend this at all. It will be extremely difficult for you to get in touch with the appropriate parties, like insurance agents, and you will find yourself in many dead ends with rejections about a claim.
Our team of attorneys will handle your claim for you. We have the best experience in the field of bed bug lawsuits and know that we can win your case. A lawyer will be able to take care of your case while you focus on healing and taking steps to preserve your home if it became infested from bed bugs you brought back from the hotel. You should not have to undergo additional stress from a lawsuit.
What Type Of Compensation Is Available For Hotel Room Guests Bitten By Bed Bugs
Victims of personal injury caused by the intentional, wrongful, or negligent actions of hotel owners and operators have the right to hotel bed bug compensation for all harms suffered. Types of damages where an injured individual is able to receive bed bug hotel compensation are as follows:
- All medical and emergency room expenses stemming from the bed bug bites, including medication, treatment, surgery, antibiotics, and more
- Future cost of medical care, including rehabilitation and cosmetic surgery to eliminate the presence of keloid scarring
- Pain and suffering arising from bed bug infestation bites, including lack of sleep due to fear of being bitten, PTSD, fear of staying in unfamiliar places like hotels and motels, anxiety, panic attacks, psychological scarring, emotional trauma, mental stress, and more
- Property damage, such as luggage including your suitcase that had to be thrown out to prevent bed bugs from spreading, your furniture, articles of clothing, and more; you could also have your repair costs for damaged upholstery and carpeting reimbursed
- Recovery for lost time at work and loss of future income due to long term disability or inability to travel
- Reimbursement of fees for extermination and fumigation
If you found beg bugs on your mattress at a hotel room and you suffered bites, you will need to sue the motel or hotel for bed bugs. Do not let the manager get away with not having to pay your expenses; you can do a lot to receive the compensation you deserve.
Your case may be worth over $500,000 if you suffered long term damage and had to throw out a lot of your belongings. If you had to had the upholstery in your car switched, carpeting in your home redone, furniture thrown out, and more, those damages could easily extend past the $10,000 mark. The cost of your hotel, flight, and overall vacation could be over $3,500, and it would be ruined from having bed bugs.
Contact a bed bug attorney to sue a hotel for bed bug injuries to guests and to receive the maximum compensation under the law for your damages. You may have a $1,000,000 case waiting for you.
Our Firm’s Promise To You
The Bed Bug Legal Group can provide you with an expert attorney to successfully litigate your claim and secure you the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages. You should not be expected your expenses if a hotel were unsanitary and placed you in a room that had a bed bug infestation. We will aggressively fight for your rightful restitution and will not stop until we are satisfied with the offer we receive. If we do not get any from the insurance agent, we will take your case to court to prove that you are owed your fair earnings.
Call our firm today to set up a free legal consultation with an experienced lawyer. If you have questions, we’ll answer them – no question is too difficult for us. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and all of your details are confidential during a consultation. The contents of your case will never leave our office.
If you choose us to handle your claim, we will give you our no fee guarantee, which promises that you will not have to touch your own savings to pay for our services. We won’t get paid unless and until we win your lawsuit, and the money will come out of the settlement we bring for you. If we lose, you owe us nothing whatsoever, and we eat the costs and losses of the case. Your financial standing is important to us, and we believe that all victims should be entitled to legal assistance without a barrier of funds.
Get in touch with the Bed Bug Legal Group if you wish to sue a hotel for bed bug injuries.