Can I sue a hotel for bed bug bites or bed bug infestation in my room?Hotel owners and managers owe a general duty to their hotel guests under common law to provide a place of residence that is free from all known and knowable dangers including infestations of bed bugs. Several state and local sanitary laws and ordinances have been put in place over the past few years in order to protect the rights of hotel room guests from bed bug infestations.
Can Hotel Guests Sue a Hotel for Bed Bugs? Liability for Bed Bugs in Hotel RoomsUnder the law bed bug bites are regarded as serious injuries in the same fashion as an injury resulting from an auto accident or slip and fall. As such, hotels have a liability for bed bugs in their hotel room and victims of these bites have the right to file personal injury lawsuits in the court of law against all at fault (liable) parties which may include hotel owners, managers, staff and their insurance carriers.
Hotel bed bug lawsuit - How to sue a hotel for giving you bed bugs
Steps you need To take after discovery of a bed bug infestation in your hotel room: Below are several important steps that should be taken if you suspect bed bugs in your hotel room.
- Accumulate evidence of the infestation: Evidence that should be accumulated can include pictures of bed bugs in the mattress of the bed, furniture, carpeting and walls. Also take pictures of the bite marks you have experienced. Ask the hotel manager to send a representative to the room so that they can notate the issue. Ask for a copy of the report.
- Seek medical attention: Bed bug bites are more dangerous than most people realize. Bites may result in keloid (permanent) scarring, and serious bacterial and viral infections. Medical care will greatly enhance your chances of reducing serious secondary medical health complications.
- Contact the local county health department: Ask the local county health and sanitation department to visit the site and ask them for a copy of the report.
- Contact the hotel management and file an injury report. Obtain all pertinent information. This includes hotel manager's name, and their direct phone number or email address. Also, inquire about when (on what date) the room was last inspected and cleaned, and names of the cleaning company or cleaning staff. In addition, contact the county health and sanitation department.
- Speak with a bed bug lawyer and seek legal consultation: The vast majority of personal injury attorneys are not aware of the complexities involved in litigation against hotels, long term stay hotels and motels for bed bugs. Seek legal advice from a law firm that has a well established reputation of litigation against hotels for bed bug infestations. Our bed bug lawyers specialize in this field.
Victims of personal injury caused by the intentional, wrongful or negligent actions of hotel owners and operators have the right to compensation for all harms suffered. Types of damages where an injured individual is able to receive compensation are as follows...
- All medical and emergency room expenses
- Future cost of medical care including rehabilitation and cosmetic surgery to eliminate the presence of keloid scarring.
- Pain and suffering arising from bed bug infestation bites - including development of post traumatic stress.
- Property damage - including infested clothing and luggage.
- Recovery for lost time at work and loss of future income due to long term disability.