Hotels have a high turnover rate when it comes to visitors and guests. Because of how many people tend to occupy the rooms, it can be extremely difficult for the maintenance crew and staff to ensure that everything is in working order. When a lot of guests check in and out, there may be damages left behind that are nearly invisible, such as broken furniture and beds. In the worst cases, guests may track in bed bugs, which can lead to a hotel-wide infestation. A hotel bed bug infestation can result in many visitors getting bitten, potentially suffering serious injuries and losing out on thousands of dollars. If you were present at a Renaissance hotel and you were bitten by the creatures, contact our law firm, the Bed Bug Legal Group, for more assistance. We can help you file a bed bug lawsuit against Renaissance.
Details about Bed Bugs
You should be acutely aware of what bed bugs are, how they behave, and what kind of effects they can have. We have included a small fact sheet below for you to consider. Bed bugs are:
- 1mm to 5mm in size
- Nocturnal and only come out at night to feast
- Prefer to nest in damp, dark, secluded spaces
- Primarily feast on human blood
- Round-bodied and flat, but can get swollen and engorged after a meal
- Can only crawl, not jump or fly
- Reddish-brown in color, but may deepen after feasting
- Possess an anesthetic in their saliva to numb the skin, as well as an anticoagulant to prevent the blood from clotting
- Can drink for 10 minutes at a time
- Difficult to kill and can resist starvation, as they may not feast for months at a time
- Emit a sweet, musty odor
- Bites may not appear for hours or days after the incident
- Bites can show up as red welts that are raised, and may be itchy or bothersome
Familiarizing yourself with bed bugs will allow you to stay at hotels and other locations without fear of being surprised by an infestation. You will know what to look for and will be able to avoid a potentially harmful incident. If, however, you were at a hotel that was infested and you were bitten, call our law firm today. We can help you determine where to file a claim against Renaissance for bed bug injuries.
Can I Sue Renaissance for Bed Bugs?
You can sue Renaissance for bed bugs if you suffered some kind of losses. For example, if you brought the bed bug home with you and your house and furniture became infested, leading to you needing to hire an exterminator and throw away personal belongings, you could pursue a claim for reimbursement of lost belongings.
Can You Sue Renaissance for Bed Bug Bites?
You can sue Renaissance for bed bugs if you were bitten. You may be allergic to the bites or you could suffer a more severe reaction; it is not uncommon for individuals to develop infections or for the bites to turn into sores. Bed bug bites can be extremely frustrating, and when paired with the other problems that arise from an infestation, they can cause your life to be turned upside down. It is in your best interest to seek Renaissance bed bug compensation from the incident.
How do I find bed bugs in a hotel?
You should be on the lookout for bed bugs in hotels by searching in dark places near where victims sleep. You can search for the nests under bed frames, behind headboards, in mattresses, inside drawers, under chairs and desks, in upholstery and cushions, and more.
Bed bug nests will usually contain the bugs themselves, as well as their eggs, which are small and cream-colored. There will also be shed exoskeletons of the bed bugs that have reached maturity.
There may also be blood stains on the sheets from where the bed bugs feasted on their victims and small brown mounds or droppings where they excreted.
Legal Information about Bed Bug Lawsuits
You may not know how to file a lawsuit against Renaissance for bed bugs. All bed bug claims can be filed due to the violation of California Civil Code, which says that hotels must keep habitable rooms for guests; these rooms should be free from vermin and infestations, among other nuisances. Renaissance Hotel bed bug policy says that the hotel must be clean and fit for all guests, as well.
To sue, you must establish a few points. For one, you must be able to show that you were an invitee on the property, or that had a legal right to be there and you were present for a mutual benefit. You must then show that the hotel manager did one of the following:
- Knew about the infestation but opted not to pursue any actions to fix or clean it
- Caused the infestation to occur
- Was unaware of the infestation but reasonably should have been if he had been diligent
If you can show at least one of these points, your Renaissance bed bug lawsuit will be in good shape. Our attorneys will be able to help you win the case.
Here Is How to File a Bed Bug Claim Against Renaissance
- Go to the doctor at once to make sure you are not allergic or that your bites are not severe. You should keep the medical payment receipt, medical information, and doctor’s notes from the visit.
- Take pictures of the bed bugs. They usually nest behind picture frames, behind bed frames, behind electrical outlets, underneath furniture, inside mattress folds, in corners, and inside drawers. Telltale signs include small brown droppings, bloodstains on sheets, and exoskeletons of juvenile bed bugs. You should also take pictures of your bites.
- Take down statements of any guests who may have experienced the infestation as well in adjacent rooms, as well as testimonies from anyone you stayed with, such as family or friends.
- File an incident report with the Renaissance hotel. Do not try to file this report too early or even alert the hotel manager to your incident, as he will likely try to remove you from the room and prevent you from gathering evidence. If you don’t know how to report a bed bug in a hotel or who to report it to, you can call our firm.
- Lastly, reach out to a lawyer with experience in Renaissance bed bug lawsuits to handle your case. You may not have any experience in such claims and the case is much better left to an expert.
Time Limit to Sue Renaissance for Bed Bug Bites
The statute of limitations for bed bug lawsuits matches that of personal injury claims. According to California law, plaintiffs have 2 years from the date of the injury to sue the hotel for damages. If the 2-year limit passes, then no compensation will be able to be won, and the claim will be thrown out.
It is possible for the statute of limitations to be extended temporarily. You may be able to have the statute extended if you were under the age of 18 years old at the time of the incident. Minors cannot sue, so the statute will be suspended until you turn legal age. Further, the defendant must be present in California in order for you to sue. If he leaves the state, then you can wait until he returns before you sue. The statute will be suspended while he is not present.
Earnings from a Bed Bug Lawsuit against Renaissance Hotel
Individuals often call us asking about the biggest bed bug lawsuit settlements and what the typical hotel bed bug settlement is. Truthfully, there is no singular number; claims may be worth $5,000 or they may total over $150,000. The insurance agent handling the case will look over the injuries you suffered and how impactful the damages were on your life an career, and he will then make an offer based on those numbers. Our attorneys will then strive to negotiate a better deal that is more beneficial for you.
We will aim to win you the following:
- Coverage for medical bills from the past and future
- Reimbursement for lost income from the past and future
- Payment for damaged property and items
- Reimbursement for extermination fees, hotel costs, and relocation fees if you had to momentarily move out of your home
- Pain and suffering damages for mental anguish, anxiety, fear, PTSD, and more
Let our lawyers assist you with your case and we will do all we can to win you the maximum settlement available under the law.
Why Choose Us
If you do not know where to file a claim for bed bug bites while staying at a Renaissance, you do not need to look anywhere else. The Bed Bug Legal Group can make sure that you are fully and fairly compensated for your bites and we will not rest until we have successfully sued Renaissance for your injuries. Our attorneys are highly rated and dedicated to our clients, and we know the best methods for winning your claim.
Call us to set up a free legal consultation. All consultations are confidential and none of your private details will be shared elsewhere. You can ask us anything you wish and we will tell you what we believe we can win or your case. If you hire us, we will grant you our zero fee guarantee, which states that you won’t be held responsible for any legal fees. We will cover the costs of the case, and the settlement we win for you will be used to reimburse us. If we lose, we do not take any money from anyone, and you can walk away debt-free to our firm.
Contact the Bed Bug Legal Group to speak with experienced lawyers for Renaissance bed bug lawsuits.