Statute of Limitations Beg Bug Lawsuit - Deadline to Filing a Claim
Most civil lawsuits including personal injury claims for bed bug infestations must be filed in the court of law within a time period designated by California state law. Failure to file a claim within the statutorily allotted time period will result in the elimination of any chances you may have at financial compensation via legal means.
Filing Deadline For Filing a Bed Bug Lawsuit in the State of California:
- In the state of California victims of personal injury including bed bug bite must file a civil lawsuit within TWO YEARS from the date of the incident. For more information look at Code of Civil Procedure Section 335-349.4.
- Victims under the age 18: Victims of bed bug bites under the age to 18 have two years from the date of their 18th birthday to file.
- Exceptions to the statute of limitations: Sometimes
California courts and judges will allow for a tolling of a statute so
that individuals with a viable justification are able to file a claim.
A few of the most common exceptions to California statute of
limitations are as follows:
- Victim is mentally incapacitated.
- Victim is physically incapacitated - including incarceration or living out of the state.
- Injuries to the victim did not manifest themselves until after the statute of limitations had run.
Filing a Claim Against a Government Entity:
Government entities include bus operators, trains, subways, government run hospitals and elder care centers. Claims against government entities must be files against the government agency within SIX MONTHS from the date of the incident.
Bed Bug Infestations Resulting in Damage to Property:
According to California Civil Laws individuals have THREE YEARS from the date of the incident to file a claim for property damage. Bed bug infestations can result in damage to clothing, carpeting, furniture and household appliances. For more information see section 338 of the California Code of Civil Procedure.
THE BED BUG LEGAL GROUP:
In all cases, a bed bug lawyer is absolutely necessary as the average person does not know their way through the legal system. Our law firm provides legal representation to thousands of individuals in the state of California who have suffered serious medical health complications due to bed bug infestations and bites while guests in hotels or as residents of apartment buildings run by slumlords who do not care about the health and safety of their tenants. Please call us and a bed bug lawyer will be speaking with you regarding the viability of your case.