Bed Bug Attorney in North Carolina, including Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Winton-Salem
Residents and visitors to North Carolina have been under attack by a growing bed bug infestation crisis in the state over the past decade. According to recent data the number of bed bug bite incidents resulting in medical treatment has increased by over 60% over the past two decades in the state. This has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in medical costs, damage to property, lost wages, forced relocations and emotional trauma. Our North Carolina bed bug attorneys are here to help; we take great pride in representing individuals and families who have suffered severe bed bug infestations across our state. Below you will find useful information regarding bed bug attacks and recovery for any losses suffered. If you have suffered a bed bug incident and would like to speak with one of our attorneys feel free to contact us.
Steps You Need to take after a Bed Bug Bite Incident
Below you will find important information regarding steps you should take following a bed bug bite injury at a hotel or motel or at your place of residence. We would like to advise all our potential clients to take the following steps. However, we also realize that some of these steps could be missed for various reasons. For example, perhpas you didn't know or you were so shocked by your injuries that you didn't have the opportunity to take these steps. In any case, you can contact a North Carolina bed bug attorney to see if a lawsuit can be filed to receive the compensation that you deserve.
- Document injuries and bed bugs: Take pictures and videos of the bed bugs and your bites. In many rooms where bites took place there is a swarm or hive of bed bugs usually near or in the bed close to where victims sleep. Find it and take pictures of it. DO NOT report the incident before you have documented the evidence. In many occasions the hotel management will force you to leave the room before you have collected needed evidence to establish a claim. So first take the pictures and other evidence that you need, and then report the matter to management.
- Report the bed bug bites to management and security: Make sure they take down an incident report. If the incident happened at a hotel, ask the hotel for a copy of the incident report.
- Seek medical treatment: Visit a local emergency room or urgent care center. Medical evaluation and diagnosis of a bed bug incident can be an important factor in any settlement of your case
- DO NOT accept any free night at the hotel or sign any releases in return for payment. Any gestures of a settlement accepted may be used to deny your right to recovery down the line.
- Seek legal help from a competent bed bug injury attorney who has a lot of experience handling bed bug lawsuits.
What are bed Bugs - How to Detect Bed Bugs in Your Room or Apartment
Bed bugs are insects with the sole purpose of sucking the blood of unsuspecting victims. Late at night while you are sleeping bed bugs crawl out of their nests and move towards your body. They are able to detect the heat generated from a sleeping person; once they have arrived to the location they inject the individual with a numbing agent so that you are not able to feel the pinch of their teeth biting into your skin. In this way bed bugs can gorge on your blood for hours as you sleep and you feel nothing. Bed bugs are usually small with brown skin and flattened bodies, after they have fed on blood they can increase in size up to 4 times their normal size with a plump body and dark red color.
Common Causes and Location of Bed Bug Infestations in North Carolina
There can be numerous causes and locations where bed bugs take place. Below, we will list just some of these.
- Hotel and Motel Rooms: Managers of hotels and motels have a duty to routinely inspect for the presence of potentially harmful agents on their property. In many cases they are aware of the bed bug issues but fail to fix the issue or dutifully warn guests of the presence of bed bugs.
- Apartment complexes: Usually low income or rent control apartments are exposed to a high volume of tenants which can result in an increased probability of harm to residents.
- Used mattress and furniture stores: Furniture stores have a duty to inspect for and resolve any bed bug issues in the goods that they sell to consumers. Unfortuantely, many do not do this due to cost issues or just due to plain negligence.
- Nursing homes, assisted living centers and elderly care homes: Unfortunately the needs of the elderly and disabled are often not met by nursing home and assisted living centers resulting in the spread of bed bugs across the facility.
- Other common locations: Day care centers for children, schools and universities.
Deadline to File a Lawsuit - Statute of Limitations for Personal Injury in North Carolina
Jurisdictions across the United States maintain differing laws pertaining to the deadline for filing a civil lawsuit in the court of law. In North Carolina the statute of limitations for a personal injury lawsuit is three years from the date of the injury. Children and minors have three years from the date of their 18th birthday to file a civil lawsuit in the court of law.
What is the Cost of Hiring an Attorney
Many attorneys charge their clients hundreds or even thousands of dollars in upfront retainers to commence legal representation. Even then, there is no guarantee that the victim will get any money at the end. In order to alleviate concerns of many individuals who have suffered injuries but may not have the financial resources required to pay a retainer our law firm has instituted a ZERO FEE GUARANTEE. This means that our clients will not have to pay out of pocket for any legal fees or costs associated with their case until there case is resolved successfully. When you hire us, we will work on your case without charging you a single penny upfront. If and when there is a successful resolution of your case, then we will charge a fee based on how much we recovered. If we don't get you money, you do not have to pay us anything.
Free Legal Consultation
If you have any questions regarding your claim or to speak with a bed bug attorney regarding the filing of a lawsuit feel free to contact our law offices. All legal consultations and case reviews are provided by our lawyers 100% free of charge.