Bed Bug Attorney Mississippi - Biloxi - Jackson - Gulfport
Every year thousands of residents and visitors to Mississippi suffer from severe bed bug infestations in hotel rooms, motels, resorts, apartment complexes and due to the sale of used infested furniture in rent-to-own stores across the state. According to recent data bed bug bite incidences have risen by close to 50% in the state during the last decade resulting in millions of dollars in damages ranging from medical bills to destroyed clothes and furniture and lost time at work. Victims of bed bug bites are entitled to financial compensation for all damages they have suffered. Below you will find information which may help if you have suffered a severe bed bug bite incident. If you have any further questions after reading this article feel free to contact our law offices. All legal consultations and case reviews are provided by our attorneys 100% free of charge.
How to Detect Bed Bugs in Your Room
Bed bugs are very small nocturnal insects; as such may be difficult to detect. They live in dark and warm places. Some common places where they are found is near your bed, in the crevices of your bed, and in drawers and tables and furniture. They typically have a flat oval shape and are brown to dark brown in color. After feeding on your blood they can plump up to three time their normal size and weight and will change color to reddish brown.
Steps to Take Following a Bed bug Bite Incident in a Hotel
There are several important steps that can be followed after a bed bug bite incident in order to protect your right to recovery.
- Take pictures of your bed bug bites. Try to find the actual bugs as well and take pictures of them. They can be found inside the mattress, under the headboard of the bed, on a couch in the room or in the walls of the room. You could also take pictures of dead bugs if you find them.
- File an incident report with the hotel manager or security. Ask for a copy of the incident report. If they do not supply you with a copy try to take a picture of the report they took down or ask for the report number.
- Seek medical attention by visiting an emergency room, urgent care center or your primary care doctor. Make sure they identify your injuries as bed bug related so that your bites are documented.
- DO NOT speak with any individuals associated with the establishment regarding settlement; do not sign any documents in exchange for free night stays or any vouchers. Any settlement offers accepted by you could result in an elimination of your right to recovery for your injuries.
- Seek legal attention from an experienced personal injury attorney in the field of bed bug bites.
Common Causes and Location of Bed Bug Bites in Mississippi
- Hotels, Casinos, Motels and Resorts: Managers of these establishments owe a duty to their guests to routinely inspect for the presence of potentially harmful agents including insects.
- Rent-A-Center / Rent-to-Own and Mattress Stores: Stores that sell mattresses, couches, beds and others furniture have a duty to inspect for bed bugs and refrain from selling the item if bed bugs are discovered.
- Apartment complexes - low income apartment complexes often suffer from bed bug infestations.
- Nursing homes, elderly care centers, and long term living facilities.
- Public venues - including movie theaters, fitness centers, public buses, taxis, Ubers and Lyfts.
Victims Right to Compensation
Victims of bed bug bites due to the wrongful actions of others may be entitled to compensation for all damages suffered. The potential settlement value of your case is predicated on several factors which are unique to every case:
- The number of bites suffered.
- Whether the bites resulted in permanent scarring and disfigurement or allergic reactions.
- The location of the bites - bites to the eyelids for example can result in excruciating pain and loss of vision.
- Medical costs associated with the treatment of the injuries suffered.
- Loss of income and future loss of earnings.
- Destroyed or damaged property - including clothing, furniture, and other household items.
- Pain and suffering compensation - victims of bed bug bites can suffer severe emotional distress including trauma related PTSD, insomnia, anxiety and depression.
Deadline to File a Lawsuit in Mississippi - Personal Injury Statute of Limitations
Statute of Limitations refers to the time period an individual has to file a civil lawsuit for recovery of damages incurred due to the negligent or wrongful actions of others. With respect to personal injury, victims typically will have three years from the date of loss to file a civil lawsuit. Failure to file the lawsuit within the statutorily allotted time period will result is the elimination of your right to recovery under the law. Minors or individuals under the age of 18 may have three years from the age of their 18th birthday to file a persona injury lawsuit in the court of law.
Attorney Consultation Available Free of Charge
Do not hesitate to contact an attorney if you or a loved one have suffered severe bed bug bite infestations in a hotel, due to a recently purchased furniture, at a nursing home, day care center, or at your place of residence because of the negligent actions of others. If you'd like a Mississipi bed bug lawyer to fight for you and get you the best result, feel free to contact our law firm. All legal consultations and case reviews are provided 100% free of charge.